Andy at Think Tank

Below is the email I received off Andy at Think Tank who i went to see while I was in London. I have found the answers to the questions interesting and gives a good insight into his experience after leaving university.

Hi Emma,

Hope things are going well. Really sorry its taken so long for me to get back to you. Were in the middle of an office move and I've been busy completely rebranding the Think Tank. I've answered the questions you sent me below, I hope the answers are the sort of thing you were after. Thanks for sending the sewn type through for me, it looks awesome. Keep at it and as I said If I can help any of you at all you have my details.

Andy

1. How did you get into design? Did you go to university etc?

After leaving high school I went to college to do a BTEC National Diploma in Graphic design for two years. After finishing my BTEC I went to university to study a BA Hons in graphics. When I completed my degree I got a job as a junior designer in a small print based studio. After working at a couple of other places I eventually made the move to London where I am now working as an Art Director at an inner city design agency.

 

2. How difficult did you find it to get a job/placement after studying?

Trying to find a job after university was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. I was quite lucky in getting my first job. I had heard about a small studio that was thinking about advertising for a designer, so I went along to speak to the Creative Director and show him my portfolio. It was in this meeting he offered me a job.

Whilst at University I had spent a number of weeks working at a small print shop, so when I came to look for work I already had some valuable experience. I felt this really helped me when looking for my first job. It took me about seven weeks of looking before I was able to finally get my first foot on the ladder. Before this I spent an awful lot of time and money printing and sending out samples, calling up agencies and design studios in order to try and get a meetings.

 

3. Do you think it's hard for students to get placements/jobs now?

Personally I think that it is probably just as hard now as it was then. I would say to take any experience you can get. It’s not always about how flashy and cool the places you have worked are but what you have learnt there and how you can use those skills to your own advantage. It’s all about selling yourself.

 

4. In your opinion what is the best way for students to present their work to you?

Everyone likes different thinks. I personally like to be able to see work in a book or folder so I can turn the pages. I like to be able to feel and touch something so a nicely put together book would impress me more as it takes a lot more skill, effort and time to put together.

 

5. Did you find it easier getting work in London or in Manchester?

I found it a lot harder to find work in London. This was mainly due to the fact that I didn’t know anyone down here and all the previous places I had worked in Manchester, no one in London had really heard of. A lot of jobs in London are advertised through recruitment agencies, which in my opinion aren’t great. They make it harder for you to get in to the agencies to meet the right people. All the jobs I interviewed for were jobs I had found directly. Before finding my current Job, I did do some freelance work for a couple of months to earn a bit of money and help with my job hunt. This was quite a good experience for me, as I had never done anything like that before.





Andy Thirsk
Art Director

Friday 8 May 2009

0 Comments:

Followers